Thursday, September 10, 2015

How to Get Mental Health Help for You, or a Loved One

  • Speak to your GP/family doctor - Tell them you, or a family member, are not feeling well, mentally or emotionally.
  • Ask to be referred to a private psychiatrist - If you, or a family member, are experiencing serious mood, sleep, appetite and life functioning changes, or increased stress and anxiety that is causing concern a mental health assessment may be needed.
  • Request a referral to a community mental health team – Teams consist of psychiatrists, social workers, case managers, and nurses and they can help assess, stabilize and treat people in the community.
  • Go to your local hospital – If you, or a loved one, are in crisis, or at-risk of hurting yourself, or others, call an ambulance, or go to your local hospital. The staff are there to help.
  • If you are interested in counselling - Ask others if they know of a good counsellor.  Your GP/ family doctor may also be able to recommend someone in your area. You may want to do an internet search as there are qualified counsellors available all over B.C. 
  • Try not to feel embarrassed, or stigmatized – One in five Canadians will experience a mental health issue at some time in their life. You are not alone and there is help available.
  • Review the Mental Health Resources on this page – I know it can be difficult to know where to start so I have tried to create a list where people can start to look for resources and information in B.C.
  • Always maintain HOPE – It does not matter how bad your situation seems, stabilization, rehabilitation and recovery is possible for everyone. The majority of people with mental health issues are living healthy, stable and meaningful lives in our communities. 


No comments:

Post a Comment